Talk Music Aretha Franklin RIP (1 Viewer)

Connie
Staff member

Connie

Aretha Franklin has died aged 76.

The legendary singer was first reported to be “gravely ill” in a Detroit hospice by news anchor and close friend Evrod Cassimy.

Franklin, who was set to retire from live music in February 2019, last performed live last November at Elton John's annual AIDS Foundation gala. She confirmed her retirement to Cassimy while simultaneously announcing plans to work on a new record with Stevie Wonder.

She cancelled her tour dates in March after her doctor told her to “rest completely” for at least two months. One of the shows would have marked the “Respect” singer's 76th birthday.
One of the all-time greats. RIP

Reactions: Major Tom

What a voice, what a legend. RIP.

Truly sad. One of my favourite artists. Beautiful voice. Total legend :(

Reactions: Bandit and Jess

Gutted to hear of her passing. The word legend is definitely apt for Aretha. There won't be another voice like hers. Cheering myself up with one of her funkier numbers. RIP.

Sad news indeed. A true music legend, up there with all the greats.

Touching tribute from the Obamas

Barack Obama

America has no royalty. But we do have a chance to earn something more enduring. Born in Memphis and raised in Detroit, Aretha Franklin grew up performing gospel songs in her father’s congregation. For more than six decades since, every time she sang, we were all graced with a glimpse of the divine. Through her compositions and unmatched musicianship, Aretha helped define the American experience. In her voice, we could feel our history, all of it and in every shade—our power and our pain, our darkness and our light, our quest for redemption and our hard-won respect. She helped us feel more connected to each other, more hopeful, more human. And sometimes she helped us just forget about everything else and dance.

Aretha may have passed on to a better place, but the gift of her music remains to inspire us all. May the Queen of Soul rest in eternal peace. Michelle and I send our prayers and warmest sympathies to her family and all those moved by her song.

Toxic Princess
Staff member

Toxic Princess

Listening to some of her music this morning and it's nice to forget how incredible she was! That voice was amazing. You can hear her influence in so many artists through the decades.

Janey
Staff member

Janey

Such a shame. Goodbye to an absolute legend.

It’s funny, I always associated Aretha Franklin with Motown, but despite growing up in Detroit, she never signed for them.

A legend. Phenomenal voice.

  • Gemma
    Gemma reacted to Indigo's comment on blog entry Just Live with Like.
    I dreaded turning 30. Turned out to be one of the best years of my life so far. You're doing great babe, you are an inspiration! xxx
  • Gemma
    Gemma replied to the thread Hi Everyone.
    Welcome, lovely. Great having you here :D
  • Gemma
    Gemma reacted to Indigo's post in the thread Hi Everyone with Love.
    Hi everyone. Just got an invitation to join up from Gemma. Looks great. Looking forward to chatting away.
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread Last Site You Visited?.
    Audible. Looking for a new audio book.
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread FA Cup 2018/19.
    No shocks in the fifth round with just the Man United versus Chelsea tie to be played. It would be good to see a "smaller" club like...
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread Science Fiction The Orville.
    I actually enjoy this more than Star Trek Discovery. Its the parody show of Star Trek that turned out to be a better Star Trek show...
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread NFL 2019 General Discussion Thread.
    Could backfire then but I guess the Cowboys took the same risk keeping Ezekiel Elliott about the place for so long.
  • Birdman
    Birdman reacted to SteveO's post in the thread NFL 2019 General Discussion Thread with Like.
    Read earlier that no punishment has been decided as yet but he is likely to serve a ban.
  • SteveO
    SteveO replied to the thread The Umbrella Academy.
    Looks intriguing and equally messed up. It was released on Netflix on Friday morning (10 episodes).
  • SteveO
    SteveO posted the thread The Umbrella Academy in ON THE BOX.
    Title: The Umbrella Academy Genre: Action & Adventure, Sci-Fi & Fantasy Creator: Steve Blackman Cast: Ellen Page, Tom Hopper...