Talk Music Aretha Franklin RIP

Connie

Aretha Franklin has died aged 76.

The legendary singer was first reported to be “gravely ill” in a Detroit hospice by news anchor and close friend Evrod Cassimy.

Franklin, who was set to retire from live music in February 2019, last performed live last November at Elton John's annual AIDS Foundation gala. She confirmed her retirement to Cassimy while simultaneously announcing plans to work on a new record with Stevie Wonder.

She cancelled her tour dates in March after her doctor told her to “rest completely” for at least two months. One of the shows would have marked the “Respect” singer's 76th birthday.
One of the all-time greats. RIP

  • Like
Reactions: Major Tom

What a voice, what a legend. RIP.

Truly sad. One of my favourite artists. Beautiful voice. Total legend :(

  • Like
Reactions: Bandit and Jess

Gutted to hear of her passing. The word legend is definitely apt for Aretha. There won't be another voice like hers. Cheering myself up with one of her funkier numbers. RIP.

Sad news indeed. A true music legend, up there with all the greats.

Touching tribute from the Obamas

Barack Obama

America has no royalty. But we do have a chance to earn something more enduring. Born in Memphis and raised in Detroit, Aretha Franklin grew up performing gospel songs in her father’s congregation. For more than six decades since, every time she sang, we were all graced with a glimpse of the divine. Through her compositions and unmatched musicianship, Aretha helped define the American experience. In her voice, we could feel our history, all of it and in every shade—our power and our pain, our darkness and our light, our quest for redemption and our hard-won respect. She helped us feel more connected to each other, more hopeful, more human. And sometimes she helped us just forget about everything else and dance.

Aretha may have passed on to a better place, but the gift of her music remains to inspire us all. May the Queen of Soul rest in eternal peace. Michelle and I send our prayers and warmest sympathies to her family and all those moved by her song.

Toxic Princess

Toxic Princess

Listening to some of her music this morning and it's nice to forget how incredible she was! That voice was amazing. You can hear her influence in so many artists through the decades.

Janey

Janey

Such a shame. Goodbye to an absolute legend.

It’s funny, I always associated Aretha Franklin with Motown, but despite growing up in Detroit, she never signed for them.

A legend. Phenomenal voice.