WE ARE FORUM BANTER!!!
Talk about the things that matter to you!!
Howdy stranger!! It looks like you're new here.
If you want to get involved, click on the button below!
Join The Conversation

Apex Legends (1 Viewer)

Major Tom

Major Tom

Staff member Staff member Staff member Staff member
Respawn's Titanfall spin-off comes with two important disclaimers:
  • It's not Titanfall 3, with all the disappointment that brings
  • It's a free-to-play battle royale game, with all the limits that brings
But, on its own terms, it's not half bad!

Based on a few games so far, it definitely scores a couple of points above some of its well-known competitors. It has that razor sharp Respawn running-and-gunning gameplay, so it flows great even if the temptation is still to wall-run. The map design actually feels like a massive, interesting map with character rather than the hyper-bland PUBG ones (I haven't played Blackout, but from what I've heard this has borrowed some tricks from that). The relatively small amount of heroes means it's more immediate than Overwatch too, although it seems to me the basic gameplay is very similar across all characters here and the character abilities just add that bit of variety to proceedings.

I'm still not the biggest fan of the genre, and nothing's sparked quite like an Attrition match in either of the mainline TF games. But this, fairly determinedly, wants to be a different thing (a good thing in many ways - studios shouldn't get stuck in a cycle of just churning out straightforward sequels) and it works well. The battle royale pacing can still be annoying, especially when it's all over before you even get to do anything much. But this is a confident take on the genre, with more than enough polish to let you know those talented folk at Respawn are behind it.

Gave me a serious hankering to boot up TF2 again, but I look forward to testing this out more as well!

Reactions: David76
David76

David76

Staff member Staff member
It's actually very interesting the way they threw that game out. No marketing, developed for the last two years with vision of being what it is now. No Early Access bullshit either.

I set it to download tonight, so hopefully will give it a go tomorrow after work. So far hearing pretty good things from usual YouTubers.

The only thing that is a bit weird - name. It's clearly Titanfall's child, but they buried it. Considering no marketing behind it, it will be a big harder for people to find it. Then again, I bet you media will do their marketing for them for free. Really interested to see how it will pan out.

Gemma

Gemma

Staff member Staff member Staff member Staff member Staff member
A million players in under 8 hours. That's some going. Hopefully it sustains as they are a talented studio.

David76

David76

Staff member Staff member
First Battle Royale game I’ve loved instantly. Weapons feel great and combat is intense.

Only got it today. Played three solo games and won two and placed top 3 three times with friends.

Feels like a Battle Royale game that actually rewards good play and skill. Can see myself playing this a fair bit.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Community Activity

• Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread Mindhunter.
    First three episodes are excellent. Better than season one.
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread General Premier League 2019/20 Discussion Thread.
    Very nice result for Spurs against City. Had to ride their luck at times but that's to be expected. City will be disappointed to have...
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread Summer Transfer Window 2019.
    Coutinho immediately becomes one of their absolute best players, so it's well worth it for them - he's good enough that they can...
  • Zidane
    I bought this game on release and can't get into it. I've barely scratched the surface of it. Does anybody think its a bit overrated?
  • Zidane
    Zidane replied to the thread Talk Football - General Football Chat.
    Goal of the season already!?
  • Zidane
    Zidane replied to the thread Peter Fonda dead at 79.
    79. Decent innings. Race With The Devil is one of my guilty pleasures. RIP
  • Sad Professor
    Sad Professor replied to the thread Summer Transfer Window 2019.
    Coutinho off on loan to Bayern Munich apparently. You'd think that would kill off any talk of Neymar returning to Barcelona?
  • Sad Professor
    Sad Professor replied to the thread Podcast Apps For Android Devices.
    Pocket Casts and Player FM
  • Sad Professor
    Sad Professor replied to the thread Talk Football - General Football Chat.
    Great goal. I've always liked Aduriz. He may be 38 and slow but he knows where the goal is. Barcelona were poor last night, they may...
  • Sad Professor
    Sad Professor posted the thread Peter Fonda dead at 79 in MOVIES & TV SHOW CHAT.
    There are actors that epitomise a certain era, that have a type of "cool" presence, Fonda was absolutely one of those. Sad news.