Apex Legends (1 Viewer)

Respawn's Titanfall spin-off comes with two important disclaimers:
  • It's not Titanfall 3, with all the disappointment that brings
  • It's a free-to-play battle royale game, with all the limits that brings
But, on its own terms, it's not half bad!

Based on a few games so far, it definitely scores a couple of points above some of its well-known competitors. It has that razor sharp Respawn running-and-gunning gameplay, so it flows great even if the temptation is still to wall-run. The map design actually feels like a massive, interesting map with character rather than the hyper-bland PUBG ones (I haven't played Blackout, but from what I've heard this has borrowed some tricks from that). The relatively small amount of heroes means it's more immediate than Overwatch too, although it seems to me the basic gameplay is very similar across all characters here and the character abilities just add that bit of variety to proceedings.

I'm still not the biggest fan of the genre, and nothing's sparked quite like an Attrition match in either of the mainline TF games. But this, fairly determinedly, wants to be a different thing (a good thing in many ways - studios shouldn't get stuck in a cycle of just churning out straightforward sequels) and it works well. The battle royale pacing can still be annoying, especially when it's all over before you even get to do anything much. But this is a confident take on the genre, with more than enough polish to let you know those talented folk at Respawn are behind it.

Gave me a serious hankering to boot up TF2 again, but I look forward to testing this out more as well!

568

Reactions: David76

It's actually very interesting the way they threw that game out. No marketing, developed for the last two years with vision of being what it is now. No Early Access bullshit either.

I set it to download tonight, so hopefully will give it a go tomorrow after work. So far hearing pretty good things from usual YouTubers.

The only thing that is a bit weird - name. It's clearly Titanfall's child, but they buried it. Considering no marketing behind it, it will be a big harder for people to find it. Then again, I bet you media will do their marketing for them for free. Really interested to see how it will pan out.

A million players in under 8 hours. That's some going. Hopefully it sustains as they are a talented studio.

First Battle Royale game I’ve loved instantly. Weapons feel great and combat is intense.

Only got it today. Played three solo games and won two and placed top 3 three times with friends.

Feels like a Battle Royale game that actually rewards good play and skill. Can see myself playing this a fair bit.

  • Gemma
    Gemma reacted to Indigo's comment on blog entry Just Live with Like.
    I dreaded turning 30. Turned out to be one of the best years of my life so far. You're doing great babe, you are an inspiration! xxx
  • Gemma
    Gemma replied to the thread Hi Everyone.
    Welcome, lovely. Great having you here :D
  • Gemma
    Gemma reacted to Indigo's post in the thread Hi Everyone with Love.
    Hi everyone. Just got an invitation to join up from Gemma. Looks great. Looking forward to chatting away.
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread Last Site You Visited?.
    Audible. Looking for a new audio book.
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread FA Cup 2018/19.
    No shocks in the fifth round with just the Man United versus Chelsea tie to be played. It would be good to see a "smaller" club like...
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread Science Fiction The Orville.
    I actually enjoy this more than Star Trek Discovery. Its the parody show of Star Trek that turned out to be a better Star Trek show...
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread NFL 2019 General Discussion Thread.
    Could backfire then but I guess the Cowboys took the same risk keeping Ezekiel Elliott about the place for so long.
  • Birdman
    Birdman reacted to SteveO's post in the thread NFL 2019 General Discussion Thread with Like.
    Read earlier that no punishment has been decided as yet but he is likely to serve a ban.
  • SteveO
    SteveO replied to the thread The Umbrella Academy.
    Looks intriguing and equally messed up. It was released on Netflix on Friday morning (10 episodes).
  • SteveO
    SteveO posted the thread The Umbrella Academy in ON THE BOX.
    Title: The Umbrella Academy Genre: Action & Adventure, Sci-Fi & Fantasy Creator: Steve Blackman Cast: Ellen Page, Tom Hopper...