Andy Murray Retiring

Fraser
Staff member

Fraser

Andy Murray says he plans to retire after this year's Wimbledon because of his right hip injury - if he can play beyond this month's Australian Open.

What he has achieved in arguably the greatest era of tennis is nothing short of phenomenal. We even won a Davis cup FFS. Greatest British tennis player ever.

Top bloke, survived Dunblane, does loads for charity and doesn't take himself seriously.

Hopefully he can get through it to a Wimbledon farewell.

A phenomenal sportsman and competitor, underappreciated in this country.

Watching him compete at the very top has been a pleasure and we'll miss him when he retires.

Lagan
Staff member

Lagan

Legend. Shame he's had so many injuries. Could have had another few competitive years otherwise. What a career he's had in the most competitive and talent rich era in tennis history.

Loved watching him as he always had ups and downs and struggled to victory. Played a lot of epic matches.

He'll be a huge miss. I must add he should have won more. Never won Australia despite being in 5 finals is very disappointing.

Shelby81
Staff member

Shelby81

Andy Murry is and has been a brilliant tennis player and has absolutely nothing left to prove - 3 Grand Slams and 2 Olympic Golds. Absolute legend of the sport and it's really sad to see him bow out like this

Massive shame. The injury really stopped him going on and winning so much more. one of the most talented sportsmen this country has ever produced.

People don't realise how good he is because he's been in the same era as Federer, Nadal and Djokovic.

Sad to see him going out like this. Deserves a proper send off so hopefully he can compete in some capacity at Wimbledon.
People don't realise how good he is because he's been in the same era as Federer, Nadal and Djokovic.
Correct. If we're being honest, he was a level slightly below those 3 but above all the rest. In a different era, he would have won 10-15 grand slams

Best
Staff member

Best

He is making a game of it in the first round of the Australian Open. Fair play to him, he looks like he is really struggling physically but he is putting up a fight.

He's a pale shadow of the player he was though, that's pretty obvious. Immobile to say the least.

Lost 3-2 in the end. He ran out of gas about 2 hours after he should have done. Sometimes defeat can be magnificent too. Great effort.

Heroic effort from Murray at the Aussie.

Sad to see his career end prematurely. It would have been nice to see what he would have won if he'd been able to play to the end.

Nobody had more heart or commitment.