Alfie Evans (1 Viewer)

  • Created By Thread starter Shelby81
  • ( Start date , 5 Replies)

Shelby81
Staff member

Shelby81

Alfie Evans, the 23-month-old toddler at the centre of a High Court legal battle, has died, nearly a week after his life support was withdrawn.

The boy from Merseyside, who had a degenerative brain condition, died at 02:30 BST, his father Tom Evans said.

On Facebook he wrote: "My gladiator lay down his shield and gained his wings... absolutely heartbroken."

Alfie's parents lost legal challenges against a High Court ruling allowing the hospital to withdraw ventilation.

The boy had his life support withdrawn on Monday after being in a semi-vegetative state for more than a year.
Very sad news that he's passed. However he's now finally at peace, lets hope the media now allow the parents time to grieve their loss.

Emma
Staff member

Emma

Such a shame how’s this poor little boy's life was turned into a circus being played out in the media and across social media.

The stuff that went on in the later days and the utter shite that was posted online and believed and shared by thousands doesn’t sit well with me at all, mob mentality blinded by a need to cause anarchy, jumping on this poor kids plight.

Let’s hope the family get space to mourn, but I suspect this story will rumble on.

Idiots and hijackers aside there was no denying his parents passion and love. Every avenue and treatments were pursued but unfortunately it was not meant to be.

A truly awful case. I can't help but think, as heartbreaking as this tragedy is, that it is for the best.

Connie
Staff member

Connie

Alfie's parents are both very young and naturally enough were desperate to save their son. Most people would be willing to believe in miracles if it meant saving their child. I can understand how they got swept up in it.

I'm glad they got to spend some time interacting with their son it's just a shame the ensuing circus happened.

Very tragic case.

The judgement of the courts was absolutely right. I feel sorry for the medics who are involved in this case and I think it's disgusting the criticism they came under.