Shelby81
Staff member

Shelby81

Alfie Evans, the 23-month-old toddler at the centre of a High Court legal battle, has died, nearly a week after his life support was withdrawn.

The boy from Merseyside, who had a degenerative brain condition, died at 02:30 BST, his father Tom Evans said.

On Facebook he wrote: "My gladiator lay down his shield and gained his wings... absolutely heartbroken."

Alfie's parents lost legal challenges against a High Court ruling allowing the hospital to withdraw ventilation.

The boy had his life support withdrawn on Monday after being in a semi-vegetative state for more than a year.
Very sad news that he's passed. However he's now finally at peace, lets hope the media now allow the parents time to grieve their loss.

Emma
Staff member

Emma

Such a shame how’s this poor little boy's life was turned into a circus being played out in the media and across social media.

The stuff that went on in the later days and the utter shite that was posted online and believed and shared by thousands doesn’t sit well with me at all, mob mentality blinded by a need to cause anarchy, jumping on this poor kids plight.

Let’s hope the family get space to mourn, but I suspect this story will rumble on.

Idiots and hijackers aside there was no denying his parents passion and love. Every avenue and treatments were pursued but unfortunately it was not meant to be.

A truly awful case. I can't help but think, as heartbreaking as this tragedy is, that it is for the best.

Connie
Staff member

Connie

Alfie's parents are both very young and naturally enough were desperate to save their son. Most people would be willing to believe in miracles if it meant saving their child. I can understand how they got swept up in it.

I'm glad they got to spend some time interacting with their son it's just a shame the ensuing circus happened.

Very tragic case.

The judgement of the courts was absolutely right. I feel sorry for the medics who are involved in this case and I think it's disgusting the criticism they came under.

  • Dylan
    Dylan replied to the thread January 2019 Transfer Window.
    Chelsea have confirmed the loan signing of Higuain for the rest of the season. I'd say PSG are gutted. Lost Rabiot to them and now De...
  • Dylan
    Dylan replied to the thread What Are You Reading?.
    Hunt Them Down by Simon Gervais. Enjoyed it, the central character has the potential to be a Jack Reacher type.
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread January 2019 Transfer Window.
    Sad news about Emiliano Sala. Poor poor guy. Why didn't he just take a few more hours out of his weekend and fly first class on a...
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread January 2019 Transfer Window.
    Summer signing but someone a few clubs were after, €75m and another possible €11m in add ons.
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread Manny Pacquiao v Adrien Broner.
    Broner really showed nothing in that fight, low output, back on the ropes, circling out of range and holding all the time. Manny did a...
  • David76
    David76 liked Major Tom's post in the thread Resident Evil 2.
    I remember playing RE2 when it first came out in 1998, so much hype then too, it was brilliant. Got my mate to play the first couple...
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread Resident Evil 2.
    My code arrived from CD Keys. Pre loading now :)