Horror A Quiet Place (2018)

4.33 star(s) Rating: 4.33/5 3 Votes
Title: A Quiet Place (2018)

Tagline: If they can hear you, they can hunt you.

Genre: Drama, Horror, Thriller, Science Fiction

Director: John Krasinski

Cast: Emily Blunt, John Krasinski, Noah Jupe, Millicent Simmonds, Cade Woodward, Leon Russom, Doris McCarthy

Release: 2018-04-05

Runtime: 95

Plot: A family is forced to live in silence while hiding from creatures that hunt by sound.

Didn't realise John Krasinski directed it as well. Pretty much only knew him as Jim from the US Office till 13 Hours where I thought he was very good.

Interesting to see a real-life husband and wife acting as a film husband and wife.

I love the premise and the trailers look great.

Reviews are certainly encouraging.

I thought it was a very good watch, would definitely recommend even to people who are not a big fans of horror movies. The apocalypse/aliens idea is a bit done to death at this stage especially in recent years but the creatures are quite unique and the silence thing freshens it up a bit. Its ridiculously tense the entire way through, it will keep you on edge. Nothing groundbreaking but a very decent watch is what I'd say. Good acting too.

Saw it last night and I thought it was top class. A proper edge of the seat thriller. I can't remember feeling so tense during a film. A master class in show, don't tell.

  • Like
Reactions: Gemma

An absolutely stunning film, loved it.

Not really a horror or monster film but a drama about family/love.

I was pleasantly surprised that most of the film they managed to avoid the sort of silliness or audience-insulting approach to its storytelling. It's hard to think of a mainstream horror film that ratchets up the tension so relentlessly across its running time, or one that uses sound so well (with the exception of a score that feels overly present at times). There are a few jump scares that feel bolted on, and a couple of developments that feel slightly contrived, but for the most part this is surprisingly effective.

Laifot

Laifot

I saw it yesterday, the whole thing was great but is there some explanation of what those creatures are? i absolutely loved the whole cast.
What were the woodfires for? they didn't get any help at all anyway.

the whole thing was great but is there some explanation of what those creatures are?
No real explanation of what they are and I think that is deliberate to add to the mystery and tension.

In an interview Kransinski did reveal that they do come from outer space, crash-landing on Earth after travelling in meteorites after the destruction of their home planet. He went on to say;

“They're an evolutionary perfect machine," Krasinski said. "The idea is, if they grew up on a planet that had no humans and no light, then they don't need eyes, they can only hunt by sound. They also develop a way to protect themselves from everything else – that's why they're bulletproof ... The other idea was it's also the reason why they were able to survive … the explosion of their planet and then survive on these meteorites. Until they open themselves up to be vulnerable, they're completely invulnerable."
I would've liked to have seen a bit less of the monsters. They are at their creepiest when you only catch glimpses of them lurking in the shadows of scuttling in the background. The close-ups showed that the design was very similar to the Demogorgon from Stranger Things.

Laifot

Laifot

Monsters had a very creepy shape. What was that hole for? some sort of bloodthirst signal? i thought that if frequency was their weakness chinese/russians would have surely discovered it earlier.

Some Random Guy

Some Random Guy

Saw this last week and was very impressed. On paper it's not anything that hasn't been done before but the execution is just beautiful....astoundingly simple but brutally effective.

There were scenes where the silence, as the saying goes, was deafening and I found myself unable to even chew on a single kernel of popcorn for entire extended periods. The tension was off the charts.

Great turns from the cast too, considering how heavily the film leans on pure expression to convey emotion. The power and manipulation of sound, as well as its absence, is just immense.

Definitely one of the better creature film of late. I really hope if a sequel is to follow, it's handled respectfully and not some hatchet "double the budget and ramp up the action" job that completely misses the point/squanders the spirit of the first film.

  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread Summer Transfer Window 2019.
    Astronomical fee. Either he'll eventually break Neymar's transfer fee or be a massive bust Wenger was doing an amazing job working with...
    David Ornstein at the BBC says Zaha wants out of Palace and to join Arsenal for £80m. He then says that Arsenal has £45m to spend, have...
  • Major Tom
    Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft have issued a joint statement the 25% tariff proposed by the Trump administration against Chinese goods...
  • SteveO
    SteveO replied to the thread Fantasy Dark Phoenix (2019).
    It really was terrible, I don't think anyone in it wanted to be there, they all just phoned it in.
  • SteveO
    SteveO reacted to Biscuit's post in the thread Fantasy Dark Phoenix (2019) with Agree Agree.
    I thought it was terrible. Jennifer Lawrence, every time she was on screen had a sulk on and you could tell she had no interest in being...
  • SteveO
    SteveO replied to the thread Summer Transfer Window 2019.
    Nobody is spending that on Zaha, maybe Arsenal would buy him for half that. Totally priced out of a move. Dortmund were linked with him...
    Here are this week’s games and add-on deals on the Xbox Games Store. Discounts are valid now through 01 July 2019. Xbox One Deals...
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread Rafa Benitez Leaving Newcastle.
    Not sure that he knew too much about the decision according to some reports
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread NFL 2019 General Discussion Thread.
    Even with the move to Vegas next year there was just too much happening with the Raiders this year to pass on them. It’s going to be...
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom reacted to David76's post in the thread NFL 2019 General Discussion Thread with Like Like.
    This is gonna be the best Hard Knocks in years