Category
Main

Ingredients

Green curry paste

1tsp coriander seeds
1tsp cumin seeds
1tsp white peppercorns
1 stalk of fresh lemongrass
3cm of fresh galangal or ginger, chopped
10 small green chillis, chopped
2 long green chillies, chopped
4 cloves of chopped garlic
3 pink thai shallots or 2 regular shallots
3 coriander roots, chopped
1tsp of lime skin or finely chopped kaffir lime leaves
2tsp of shrimp paste
1tbs oil

Simply add all the ingredients to a blender and blend for about 5mins until you reach the required consistency.

Thai Green Curry

2tbs of oil
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2tbs green curry paste
2 chicken breast fillets, thinly sliced in lengths
400ml coconut milk
400ml chicken stock
1 large fresh red chilli, chopped diagonally into thin ovals
2 types of suitable veg chopped into bite-size pieces.
2-3tbs Thai fish sauce
1tbs palm sugar (normal sugar will do)
20 fresh sweet basil leaves.

thaicurry.JPG

Method

  1. Heat the oil in a wok or pan, add the garlic and green curry paste and fry for 30secs.
  2. Add the sliced chicken and a couple of tablespoons of the coconut milk and fry for about 3 minutes.
  3. Add the veg, keep the pan hydrated by adding small amounts of coconut milk and cook for 2 minutes.
  4. Add the rest of the coconut milk and then the stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 5mins or until the veg is tender.
  5. Add the palm sugar and the fish sauce 1tbs at a time to taste.
  6. Stir in the basil leaves and serve.
Recipe notes

Freeze the excess curry paste in an ice cube maker and cover with a bag and it will stay good for months. you can then make a green curry in 20 mins next time. When I make a paste I usually triple the amounts so I make a load and freeze it.

It may look very white while your cooking it, don't worry it magically turns green at the end!

Coriander roots what are they?
The roots of a bunch of coriander herb. When you are buying coriander herb, try to buy with the roots on. chop off the roots and freeze them until you make your next paste. Note sometimes I have to make a paste without this ingredient and it doesn't make much difference.

I use homemade stock, you can use cubes or whatever but then you need to be careful and use less fish sauce. Make sure your fish sauce is still within its best before date, if it has gone off its really rank!

Main information

Added by
Last update
Author rating