10 mins
Cooking Time
25 mins
Calories Per Serving
576
Category
Main

Ingredients

Contrary to popular belief, Stroganoff is NOT a stew or casserole, so you'll need meat suitable for quick cooking, so ask the butcher for something suitable for a stir fry. I like Sirloin, cut into strips. This week I found Venison medallions in Lidl, and used these instead of beef.

Butter is quite important for the flavour here too.

500g meat, cut into strips
an onion, thinly sliced
about 150-200g Mushrooms
2tbsp Tomato Puree
1tbsp Mustard (Dijon)
1tsp Paprika
100ml Beef Stock (I use OXO for this)
a carton of sour cream
fresh parsley if you have it
pickled gherkins
Butter for frying

Method

The first thing I do is fry off the meat strips in butter, they are small and thin, so won't take much cooking, about a minute in a very hot pan for rare, about 3 minutes for well done - do them in batches of about 100-125g each, don't overdo them, they'll be stringy and chewy, then just stick them in a bowl until the end.

Once you've done this, use the same pan for the next steps.

Thinly slice your onion and fry in butter on a low-medium heat for about 7-10mins, until soft

Then add the sliced mushrooms, cook for a further 3-5mins

Then add the tomato puree, mustard and paprika and cook for another 2mins, stirring

Add your stock, boil then reduce heat and simmer for 5mins

Add the sour cream and mix it through, then add the meat back in, and season with salt and plenty of pepper, heat it through then spoon onto the plate with your carbs and throw some fresh chopped parsley over it, then the finely chopped gherkins on top.