Bring some Halloween fun to the dinner table with these tasty mummified meatballs. This easy meatball recipe is made with beef and pork mince for a rich, meaty flavour, then wrapped in tagliatelle 'bandages' and served with a tangy tomato sauce. Perfect for a Halloween party or supper with the kids.
- For the tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- For the meatballs
- 60g (2 1/2oz) breadcrumbs
- 50ml (2fl oz) milk
- handful parsley, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 500g (1lb) lean pork mince
- 250g (8oz) beef mince
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 125g (4oz) fresh tagliatelle
- American style mustard, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. For the tomato sauce, heat the oil in a large pan over a low heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Increase the heat and add the tomatoes and a pinch of sugar. Simmer gently for 15 minutes, until thickened. Set aside until needed.
- Meanwhile, make the meatballs. Put the breadcrumbs in a bowl with the milk. Stir in the parsley and garlic, and then set aside to soak for 10 minutes. Combine the pork and beef mince in a mixing bowl. Using clean hands, work in the wet breadcrumb mixture and onion, season well and shape into 12 evenly sized meatballs. Put the olive oil in an ovenproof dish large enough to fit all the meatballs snugly. Bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes, until firm and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, cook the tagliatelle in a pan of salted, boiling water following the packet instructions. Drain and refresh under a cold running tap.
- To assemble the mummifed meatballs, wrap a few strands of tagliatelle around each meatball, leaving a small gap for the eyes. Using the mustard, dot a pair of eyes on each meatball. Serve the meatballs with the warm tomato sauce and any leftover tagliatelle ‘bandages’ on the side.